Val, What Should We Wear?!
A good way to go about choosing coordinating outfits for everyone is by starting with the toughest one to dress, and working your way from there. Lay everything out on a bed where you can get a good picture of what everything looks like together. Then get everyone to try clothes on and narrow down your options.
Choose something comfortable, something that you can move around in. Especially for family and engagement sessions, we will explore a whole lot and you want to be able to have fun and make memories, not worry about a wardrobe malfunction! So here are a few pointers and a colour chart that I have put together to help you out.
- Wear light and airy fabrics in the summer
- Wear warm, soft, cozy sweaters in the fall and winter
- Dress for the weather
- Flowy dresses and scarves are great and add gorgeous motion to your pictures
- Have different layers (sweaters, scarves, ponchos, blankets, hats, etc.) on hand so we can switch up the look throughout the session
- Outfits should complement each other, not match
- Pick a palette that works for your family and the mood you are trying to create
- One or two busier patterns look nice, but you don’t want to overdo it, also choose some neutral articles of clothing
- Avoid graphic T’s
- Don’t try to wear something that you wouldn’t normally wear, you want your photos to be authentic
If you feel like putting your little ones in really cute outfits, I found Chic Baby recently and fell in love with their selection. They have the perfect summer dresses, rompers and jumpsuits for babies and kids. The colours and fabrics they offer look phenomenal in photos!
Don’t overthink it and feel free to send me any question you may have while preparing for your upcoming session.
I can’t wait to hang out,