Val, What Should We Wear?!
A good way to go about choosing coordinating outfits for everyone is by starting with the toughest one to dress, and working your way from there. Lay everything out on a bed where you can get a good picture of what everything looks like together. Then get everyone to try clothes on and narrow down your options.
Choose something comfortable, something that you can move around in. Especially for family and engagement sessions, we will explore a whole lot and you want to be able to have fun and make memories, not worry about a wardrobe malfunction! So here are a few pointers and a colour chart that I have put together to help you out.
- Wear light and airy fabrics in the summer
- Wear warm, soft, cozy sweaters in the fall and winter
- Dress for the weather
- Flowy dresses and scarves are great and add gorgeous motion to your pictures
- Have different layers (sweaters, scarves, ponchos, blankets, hats, etc.) on hand so we can switch up the look throughout the session
- Outfits should complement each other, not match
- Pick a palette that works for your family and the mood you are trying to create
- One or two busier patterns look nice, but you don’t want to overdo it, also choose some neutral articles of clothing
- Avoid graphic T’s
- Don’t try to wear something that you wouldn’t normally wear, you want your photos to be authentic
- Summer dresses, rompers and jumpsuits are great for babies and toddlers, Chic Baby is a good inspiration for colours and fabrics that look great in photos
- Neutral coloured wraps from Sugar Baby Photo Props are what I use for newborn sessions, but you can also check out their selection if you are looking for a specific colour and/or would like to hold on to what was used for your photos as a keepsake
- And I’m a huge fan of Winners, Old Navy, The Bay and Saks Off 5th for flowy, comfy and affordable dresses – whichever colour palette you choose, chances are they’ll have something for you!
Don’t overthink it and feel free to send me any question you may have while preparing for your upcoming session.
I can’t wait to hang out,